The Lymph system is an amazing cleansing or septic system of the body. There is no heart to pump the lymph through the tiny vessels of this system, so therefore, Lymphatic drainage can assist the lymph to move efficiently through the body. Lymphatic Drainage therapy has benefits ranging from detoxification of the body, regeneration of burned, injured or wrinkled tissue, anti-aging effects, and relief of sinusitis, bronchitis, chronic pain, fibromyalgia, constipation, insomnia, memory loss, and cellulite. This therapy is especially helpful for clients who have radiation or cancer treatments and, it helps speed the healing process after most post surgical procedures Luna gently rubs, strokes, taps or pushes the skin in directions that follow the structure of the lymphatic system so that accumulated lymph fluid can drain through proper channels. Lymphatic drainage is very gentle, is not painful and has a relaxing effect. Luna will be completing Bruno Chikly's Lymphatic Drainage Level 3 this week.
For more information on Lymphatic drainage please go here.
Contraindications happen when an increase in lymph flow would be detrimental. Contraindications can either be absolute or relative. Your physician can override relative contraindications if he or she finds good reason, but the absolute contraindication cannot be overridden.
Absolute Contraindications :
- Acute inflammation - caused by bacteria, viruses and poisons are contraindicated. Tissues will be red, hot, and painful with congestion accompanied by fever. Lymphatic drainage will push these substances into the lymph channels before the body has a chance to eliminate them. This way one can spread the toxic substances throughout the body. It is best to wait a few days until the condition is not acute and the body has had a chance to clean up the area.
- Malignant tumours – there is a fear of spreading the cancer.
- Thrombosis – can lead to free floating blood clots in the circulatory system.
- Major heart problems – if the heart is not fully functioning, oedema can be lymphodynamic due to a lack of venous return. Pumping more fluid in the heart it may stress it more than the actual condition.
Relative Indications or Precautions:
- Kidney problems – check with the physician before treating.
- Bronchial asthma – this can stimulate the vagus nerve bringing on an attack.
- Thyroid problems – no treatment around the throat.
- Medications – fear of increasing the dosage by draining the interstitial spaces.
- Chemotherapy – fear of increasing the dosage by draining the interstitial spaces.
- First three months of pregnancy – fear of miscarriage.
- Removed spleen – recommend shorter session first.
- Menstruation – MLD can increase the flow.
Enjoy this video on self lymphatic drainage :
"Lymphatics are the next frontier of discovery in human diseases. Long-ignored because of their subtelty and complexity, the mysteries of our cellular 'waste disposal' system have been comprehensively deciphered by Dr. Bruno Chikly."
— Mehmet Oz, MD, Cardiothoracic Surgeon, Author of Healing from the Heart.